Our PE Team teach all classes from Y1 – Y6. The PE team hold a wide range of sporting and teaching qualifications, and adopt an enthusiastic and energetic approach to PE. We endeavour to provide opportunities for all children to have positive sporting experiences, access the PE curriculum, and learn how to lead healthy active lives.
Here at Leagrave we follow the national curriculum. All of the children participate in two hours of quality PE each week, and through PE at school all children should:
- Develop competence in a broad range of activities
- Be physically active for sustained periods of time
- Engage in competitive sport
- Lead healthy, active lives
In years 1 & 2, children are taught to master basic fundamental movements such as running, jumping, throwing and catching as well as developing balance, agility and coordination skills. Children begin to apply these skills in a range of activities.
Children also start to participate in team games; learning the rules and simple tactics for attacking and defending.
Children participate in dance where they use simple movement patterns; they learn to work in pairs and in small groups. We relate dance to everyday tasks & objects that the children can understand e.g. moving like different animals.
Children continue to apply and develop a broader range of skills, learning how to use them in different ways and link them to make actions and sequences of movements. Children communicate, collaborate and compete with each other. They develop an understanding of how to improve in different physical activities and sports and learn how to evaluate and recognise their own success.
Pupils are taught to:
- Use running, jumping, throwing and catching in Isolation and in combinations
- Play competitive games such as: Football, Tag Rugby, Netball, Basketball, Volleyball, Bench Ball, Dodgeball, Hockey, Rounders, Badminton, Tennis and Cricket. Through these games the children apply attacking and defending principles.
- Children develop flexibility, strength, technique and control through activities such as Athletics, Gymnastics, Parkore and Dance.
- We introduce leadership early on into the children’s PE lessons. Being a leader can have a positive impact on children lives: now and in the future. We encourage all children to lead warm ups and small group activities in KS2.
- We are very privileged to be the only School in Luton with their own climbing wall. Climbing is a fantastic activity to help build self confidence, strength and coordination so we introduce this into the curriculum at KS2.
- In years 3 & 4 children go swimming. Two of our teachers swim with the children to help build confidence in the water. Children learn to swim competently, confidently, use variety of strokes and aim to swim 25 metres without stopping, or more.
- We also offer other activities throughout the year such as: Cycling, Fitness, Fencing, Outdoor and adventurous activities such as Orienteering, climbing and archery.
We offer morning and after school sports clubs. They are incredibly popular and we try our best to ensure that every child who applies is selected for at least one club.
We change the clubs every half term to ensure we run a varied programme. We keep records of attendance and those children who are not successful are offered clubs the following half term.
The clubs we offer include:
Golf, Benchball, Hockey, Fitness, Dodgeball, Football, Gymnastics, Dance, Climbing, Handball, Cricket, Cycling, Roller-skating, Basketball, Games and many more.
The PE team actively target children in school who may be less active or lack in self-confidence as we feel the clubs support and encourage our children to lead healthy active lives.
We try to provide the children at Leagrave School with as many Leadership opportunities as possible. Being a Leader can have a major impact on a child’s development.
Our children are encouraged to lead warm ups, lead small groups, and captain teams within lessons.
We choose children to be Play-leaders at lunchtime. Their role includes setting up games for younger children, supporting and encouraging other pupils, setting up equipment and ensuring it is packed away safely and securely.
Children love leading and helping and it is great to see their confidence grow when given responsibility.
Primary School has a playground that includes a large climbing frame, a traverse climbing wall, a new Fitness adventure trail, two netball courts (also with four mini tennis courts) and a grassy area. We also have many markings and equipment around the playground.
We have a large field with football markings during the winter, and an athletics track during the summer. The field also has tunnels and built up slopes for children to use and explore. We have also recently added full size outdoor sand based outdoor volleyball court to link in with our volleyball curriculum, and use for play time.
Our dining hall is equipped with surround sound and projector to enhance learning. The dining hall also houses our indoor climbing wall which is 5.5m high, with eight independent roped climbing lines.
Leagrave’s main hall is fully equipped with a selection of gymnastics apparatus and state of the art technology.
We have a covered bike shelter so children can ride their bikes and scooters to school and keep them safe.
We provide the children at Leagrave with so many wonderful experiences. The year is jam packed full with fantastic trips such as:
- Football Matches
- Residential trips to Kingswood
- Meeting Olympic Athletes
- Ice Skating
And many more.
This year we gained bronze in the Sainsbury School Games Kitemark. We are aiming for Gold this year by entering more competitions.
The mark rewards Schools for commitments to, and development of competitions, school sport and Physical education.